Saturday, June 5, 2010

Pop Stars


Do I have to be sociable today?

Can't I just curl up in bed with my iPod and listen to the sounds of the world moving muffled by my windows?



Anyway.

I'm currently participating in the 365 Photography Project, which involves chronicling a year of your life with a photograph a day.

I've only been uploading for the project for a month and a half, but it's made me pick up my camera and play with it everyday since. I'd already been taking a lot more pictures after I got my GR Digital, which I carry around with me almost all the time (Guess whose influence.. *innocent whistling♪♪*) However, this project has really made me explore the possibilities of photography and find opportunities and images in many unlikely nooks and crannies.
So on days like this when the outside world does nothing to jolt my sense of joy and inspire sparks of wonder in my head, I get to randomly capture the internal world of my room in ways that I hope induce it with a surreal, warped, misrepresented beauty that splashes a little romanticism and lends a cloak of pop colours and fuzzy edges to this existence. Let's me have a slight leap of satisfaction skip through my heart when I am happy with the effect and am pleased with the image taken.

The main image is one of those I took last night.



What is it?



Why, the lights outside my window reflected on the back of my trusty and battered iPod Nano.
Got it before I went to Japan, and it's seen me through a lot.
In a spur of slightly misguided inspiration, I attacked it's shiny back with purikura [photo stickers] and star stickers.
The 12 year old kid styled decorations have since received their fair share of rubbing and abuse, and now look slightly forlorn.
One of the four main purikura fell off one day while I was taking the subway here. I didn't realise it. The thought of a picture of mine falling to the floor in public like a crumbled piece of rubbish, to be trodden on or found by random strangers makes me feel rather queasy. Ah well. What's gone is gone.

2 comments:

  1. my ipod is so battered - Im seriously in need of a new one. The stars look good in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide if I should get an iPod touch, since there's so much free WiFi around here, or an iPod Nano, which is really hardy and can last for years. Ahhh.
    Thank you! I'm rather proud of how these turned out! ^^

    ReplyDelete