Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When Worlds are Made to Collide



Found this Book Meme!! Sounded like fun, so tried it out.


1. Take five books off your bookshelf.
2. Book #1 -- first sentence
3. Book #2 -- last sentence on page fifty
4. Book #3 -- second sentence on page one hundred
5. Book #4 -- next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
6. Book #5 -- final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph:


1. Book#1 - Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami

First sentence: The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent.

Book #2 - The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter

Last sentence on page 50: All the natural laws of the world were held in suspension, here, where an army of invisibles tenderly waited on her, and she could talk with the lion, under the patient chaperonage of the brown-eyed dog, on the nature of the moon and its borrowed light, about the stars and the substances of which they were made, about the variable transformations of the weather.
(It ran onto page 51. Haha. From 'The Courtship of Mr Lyon')

Book #3 - In a Glass Darkly - Sheridan Le Fanu

Second sentence on page one hundred: Page 100 is blank!! >.<

Book #3 ver 2 - On the Road - Jack Kerouac


Second sentence on page one hundred: My aunt and my brother Rocky went in the kitchen to consult.

Book #4 - Seven Gothic Tales - Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen)

Next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty: I thought of the gardens of Assens, but it was closed to me forever.
(From 'The Deluge at Norderney', which I haven't read yet. >.<)

Book #5 - Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman


Final sentence of the book (uh, spoiler alert?): And they walked away together through the hole in the wall, back into the darkness, leaving nothing behind; not even the doorway.


Make the five sentences into a paragraph:

I thought of the gardens of Assens, but it was closed to me forever. My aunt and my brother Rocky went in the kitchen to consult. The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent. And they walked away together through the hole in the wall, back into the darkness, leaving nothing behind; not even the doorway. All the natural laws of the world were held in suspension, here, where an army of invisibles tenderly waited on her, and she could talk with the lion, under the patient chaperonage of the brown-eyed dog, on the nature of the moon and its borrowed light, about the stars and the substances of which they were made, about the variable transformations of the weather.

There we go!!



Fitting the five sentences together reminds me of those games they used to make us play, either in language class or at camps or similar situations, where we're given strips of paper with sentences on them, and are tasked to piece them together to form a coherent and logical sentence.


Anyway, two of the books grabbed off my shelf are actually pirated books bought off the roving book pirate bicycle carts (pictured at top of post). Was very surprised and rather impressed to find Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' and Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road' nestled amongst the Marx and Kinsella and what's-her-name-Twilight-author, etc. Incidentally, both books remind me of Anne!! xD

Lapped up 'Neverwhere' like a very hungry and rather un-felinely enthusiastic cat at a dish of cream over two days. Lovely stuff. Made me long for London badly, though.
Am not currently on 'On the Road'! I feel like I should look at a map of America as I read it, though. Hmm.

2 comments:

  1. that game also reminds me of the game where you would each draw a part of the persons/monsters body and fold it and give it to the next person, and you would have funny looking people in the end. ah, childhood games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. That sounds really familiar, but is really hazy in my mind... >.<
    Speaking of childhood games, I was playing cat's cradle with my Korean classmate the other day! The teacher said they have it in China too, and my friend who grew up in Russia knows it too! Didn't realise it was so global!

    I think it'll be fascinating to trace the origins and range of childhood games, not to mention childhood tales like creepy stories and such that get spread around.
    I think we were supposed to have read something about myths by, was it Claude Levi-Strauss? in uni. Hmmm. Evidently I didn't. Haha.

    ReplyDelete