Monday, July 12, 2010

The Return of the Brat



I'm back!!

Germ-y, phlegm-y, sleep-deprived and sweat-slicked, but I'm back!!

Feels good to not have a shower that suddenly subjects me to spurts of scalding water, a toilet bowl that wobbles and is inapt at flushing, and clear, non-murky water running from the taps.

Bless you, you little pocket of sanitary, functioning orderliness, Singapore!

Last night, I was reunited with my black blob.
He seemed to remember me. Either that or he's just being his usual shameless self and throwing himself at any human being for the prospect of scratchies.
I subjected him to a flurry of snaps worthy of a paparazzi, and he looked suitably bewildered and annoyed at turns.


Had the most splitting headache last night, and that combined with adrenaline from the excitement of being back deprived me of slumber till about 5am.

Got up after 10, and then had to go to the supermarket, as the fridge and larder resembled deserted streets with the sporadic clump of tumble weed in Westerns. Was pleasantly surprised I not only managed to not deal any damage to the car, but also parked rather prettily!

Now equipped with milk and other random items, I could proceed to partake in my morning pot of tea.

Mariage Freres' Marco Polo.



I'm usually not a fan of flavoured tea, but Marco Polo is an exception. The fragrance is lovely! Heavier on the floral side, but fruity as well. I'd heard much about it, and finally got to have my first taste in Kyoto last year, at this cute little cafe I chanced upon.


I was sold immediately after the first whiff and the first sip.

It leaped up to occupy the first place on my tea leaves shopping list that trip.
Unfortunately, my tea has lost most of its fragrance by being left on the shelf for about four months. My blocked nose might have something to do with it too. However, since there're only about two servings left, it wasn't too much of a waste. It doesn't look likely that I'll be able to get my hands on more of the stuff anytime in the near future, though. Ah well. There are always new tea horizons to explore I suppose! ^-^

I also treated myself to some walnut cheese. It looked yummy, and it was yummy. Apparently it's a Bavarian cheese.
Cheese and crackers.
Cheese and granny smith apples.
Pure bliss.


Carr's table water biscuits have been a favourite of mine since toddler-hood. Or so I have been told. ^^

Later on it was strawberry time. With 'The Time Traveller's Wife', which I have just started reading today. Oh, and that's white fungus drink in the mug. Muaha. Apparently it's good for coughs. I actually rather like fungus. The black variety is absolutely delicious as a component of a dish or as a starter on its own. They had a lot of it in China. I think calling it 'fungus' in English (well, it probably is fungus) makes it sound rather unappetising, if not revolting. However, the Chinese name, muer, can literally be translated to 'wood ear' making it sound much better, and even a little cute.


And just now I had some genmaicha, Japanese green tea with roasted brown rice. Put too much tea leaves in the pot, so it was rather too bitter.


The cat joined me at the dining table and dozed a little, purring all the while, as I read my book and sipped on tea. He really enjoys just being in the company of another sometimes. :)


And so my day's been an immensely lazy one with much to please the palate. Everything's been wrapped in a sticky film of humidity, though, and the weather has been strange and ever-changing throughout the day.

Hopefully I'll manage to get a good rest tonight, and make it into town tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. haha, you sound lovely! Your pictures are lovely, I really like your plates. Hello Tubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *meow* =^.^=

    Thank you!! Do you recognise the saucer and the bowl I bought in Amsterdam? =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh that's so weird! I just did a post with amsterdam photos and then I saw this! I must have subconciously recognised it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... Tubby's so cute!
    "Feels good to not have a shower that suddenly subjects me to spurts of scalding water, a toilet bowl that wobbles and is inapt at flushing, and clear, non-murky water running from the taps.

    Bless you, you little pocket of sanitary, functioning orderliness, Singapore!"
    <---- I like how you phrased that! gifted with words, you.

    ReplyDelete